Tuesday, 9 April 2019

Journal #5 4/3/19

Today was a good day at my service learning, I arrived at 12:30 which is around the time that the teacher takes the kids outside to play for about thirty minutes depending on the weather. I enjoy going outside with them because a little girl "Samariah" always asks if I'll play goose with her (duck, duck goose) which the children's version is naming someone (me) the goose and I just run around trying to catch all the little ducks. It's different than the way I played as a little girl but I enjoy it nonetheless. Instead of just playing goose the entire recess time, she also wanted to play catch with me where I tried to get her to throw the ball from a good distance so I could catch it but she much preferred bouncing it to each other or throwing it from a short distance. We had fun playing with the ball for a while and then I noticed that hopscotch painted on the ground for the children so I asked "Samariah" if she knew how to play and when she said she didn't I taught her the best I could (I was never the best) and we had tons of fun just taking turns playing hopscotch for the rest of recess. By time the class goes back inside, its almost time for dismissal so the teacher assistant gets the end of the day snacks set out for the kids to come up and get some cereal in a cup and a juice box if they haven't brought their own from home. While the children are eating their snacks, the teacher passes out their dismissal badges that they need when they go home whether on the bus or if their parent comes and picks them up.  The teacher also gives the students that behaved or listened well, a little paper that says "I did good listening today" with a smiley face and allows them to take a sticker from her sticker box.

1 comment:

  1. This is wicked cute. I never get to see the kids at ASF at recess but I bet it's so fun to see them in a different place where they feel happy.

    ReplyDelete